Sunday, February 5, 2017

On top of the world - story about work camps

Unfortunately I am not Frodo Baggins and anyone came to my home to send me on the biggest adventure of all the time, but if I learned anything from his story I took my best friend with me. Actually she told me about this amazing opportunity to go to another country and do volunteer work in exchange for accommodation and food called work camp. Ok, the name is not the best in my opinion since there is no work and usually neither camping, but when you learn more about it or experience it, it's truly amazing!

What is the work camp?
Shortly it is a program coordinated by Europe Union (but covering the whole world) that you can apply in your local sending organisation. It doesn't matter where are you from, how old you are or what skills you have, all you need is motivation. In my country every March you can check the list of camps all around the globe and apply for it. The system is who apply first, goes! Simple as that. You have to cover your transport and pocket money, and you will be provided with accommodation and food. You will also meet many people from another countries and locals who will show you all the best things from their place.

So this is year 2011. and I am carefully going on my first adventure with my friend on the place she already went before and with a lot of luggage. That will become 4 weeks in Spain that will change my view of the world, and make me seek to travel. What can I say without going in unnecessary details. First week we spent on seaside in hostel and then we went all the way to the Pyrenees (the way was long and adventure by itself). Next 3 weeks we stayed in one micro village surrounded by mountains with many people from different parts of the world.


We were hiking, climbing, sleeping under the open sky, swimming in lakes and seeing some amazing views. Everyone was so happy and full of joy and our coordinator told us " As closer we are to the sky we are more happy" and it was true.
We were also helping with fixing the dens that stop the snow avalanche to the village, the work was physical but not to hard, and as I remember it was about 20 hours a week.
At the end we cried a lot and said goodbye to everyone.

So, of course I was a bit scared and it was all new for me, every beginning is hard and we first need to learn how to crawl before we walk. This experience was my first step, and after that nothing can stop me :D  

No comments:

Post a Comment