Monday, February 6, 2017

Across the ocean - work&travel USA

This is a story how I went to America with plan to stay 4 months and came back year and a half later. I went to USA with work&travel program, this program is very popular among students in Balkan countries. It lets students to go and work in USA or Canada during a summer break. It is a bit expensive to go but it’s also easy to earn money back with the job there.
Because I did it after my last year of university, and gave all the exams after I got visa, I was thinking that I will maybe stay a bit longer but then come back to Europe, travel a bit more and  do the master studies, find a job, have a “normal” life. But it never happened, 3 years latter I’m still traveling and want to stay this way as long as I can.
My work&travel destination was Ocean City, Maryland and I think it’s a perfect destination for this kind of project, there were more international students then locals, and it was party every day. I was working in amusement park, job was boring but it wasn’t too bad. Only problem was that it didn’t feel that much like America because all the people we met were from our neighbor countries. What was good about this experience is that I was on my own, ocean away from my family, earning my money, paying bills, first time I was totally independent but also free. Then my phone broke and only way I was communicating with Europe was when my friend gives me her phone to send an email to my mother. I used it as an excuse and tried to prolong the time before I buy a new one, it felt good this new life. Even they were paying us minimal wage we had enough to live good and even save something.
Then the time came to go home, season was over and my friend asked me to go to Las Vegas with her. I wanted to go and stay month or two before I come back home. So, we decided to extend our visa, here comes the advice. Don’t, but don’t stay illegal in USA, if you are on J1 visa it’s so easy to get 6 more months of tourist visa and you can do it online. When you apply you get into the process that’s 3-4 months and then you get your extension, so that is 9-10 months, and then you can do it one more time. I don’t know the web site, but if you need it you can easily Google it. Long live the Google! <3


If you are not sure what to do with your life, or even if you are, take a break one year to travel, be independent, feel how it is to do simple jobs, enjoy the freedom far away from your home, learn a new language, eat ice cream for diner and leave a mess in your room, drink too much and come home in the morning, fall in love 3 times for one summer, simply do whatever you want, all those thing that your family and friends told you not to do but you wanted it. Do it for yourself because how Mark Twain said “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” But at the same time be smart and be safe J

No comments:

Post a Comment