Sunday, February 12, 2017

Following the sun - Wild traveling UK

What else I did in UK? Well, I traveled! I went close places, more far places, by bus, hitchhiking, by boat, by foot… I will not speak about all the places I went because there is many, but only my favorite ones J
One of those is for sure Stonehenge summer solstice festival . This festival is every year  and  it is the only day in the year when you can actually go inside the Stonehenge and its free! Many people gather to sing, dance, enjoy under the open sky and wait for the sunrise. It is not allowed to take in alcohol, tents or sleeping bags and they search everyone and will make you leave big bag packs and these things in left luggage office. Anyway if you are smart you can get away with few beers ;) The atmosphere was amazing and it’s definitely on my list of best days in UK! If you would like to know more you can check this link: http://earthsky.org/earth/gallery-the-summer-solstice-as-seen-from-stonehenge


The longest (and the best) trip I did there was to Scotland. If you are in UK, and also some other EU countries you should use mega bus (https://www.megabus.com/). It is hard to believe but I bought ticket from London to Glasgow for 1 pound! Yes, one pound, and also there were other destinations for also one or few pounds, so use it J Also amazing thing about Scotland is that wild camping is allowed and (at least for me) the hitchhiking was easy, but out of big cities, and people were friendly, one wonderful woman even welcomed us to sleep at her home! In 12 days, we spent every night in different place and made a circle from Glasgow to Edinburg (definitely worth of visiting in August during the festival) true Cairngorms national park, all the way to Inverness and back to Glasgow next to the Loch Ness, and true Loch Lomond national park. We just paid for bus from Glasgow to Edinburg and then to Sterling (was about 10 pounds in total) and airbnb in Glasgow, Edinburg and Inverness. I tried to find couch surfing but I didn’t have any luck…  So, Scotland is perfect for low budget traveling, just bring warm and waterproof clothes and a lot of things against mosquitoes or how they call it midges!
My favorite place in England is definitely Isle of Weight where you can walk on cliffs next to the ocean, also camp and if it’s summer go for a swim! There is a day ticket for all the buses and they have discount for small groups, but I would recommend 2 or 3 days for visiting this island.
Also Ryan air will take you to Dublin for few pounds, just make sure if you need visa, I did even that I had residence card for UK, but it was free J
I could write a blog only about traveling in UK and Ireland but I won’t (sorry), so good things to know : Airbnb will be cheaper than a hostel if you are not traveling alone, buses can be really cheap and there is many places you can wild camp, we were told by locals that even if it’s not allowed in that area only thing can happen is that someone ( or police) ask you to move, but it never happened to me, many museums are free ( especially in London) and if you forget to pay your ticket in the train and controller comes you will just pay the ticket ;)

“A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimension” Oliver Wendell


Open your mind, accept what is in front of you, if it’s different that you know or how you are it doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Try to understand, and even if you can’t, just take it how it is. Listen to the people that you meet on the road, even if you don’t like them, but listen to them with your mind open and maybe they will teach you something…

No comments:

Post a Comment